Wednesday, September 1, 2010

When someone asked me why I love Manchester United so much! :)

January 2010, it was Saturday eve, the college fest was going on, perhaps the last one of my college life here at VIT, my feet were moving as fast as they could carry me.
But, not towards the stage where Shaan was performing, but to a completely opposite direction. Manchester United vs. Arsenal was showing on the TV. The college fests is perhaps once in a lifetime thing, the EPL is every weekend, Man United v Arsenal twice a year, but it simply just aint enough!
As I got far from the college, my feet quickened, and behind it were a number of reasons propelling them further.
I didn’t want to miss a single second of watching my heroes in action, and I loved the feeling when they stepped out on the arena, ready to conquer. Manchester United devoured Arsenal that fateful night at the Emirates, Nani and Rooney combining wonderfully for the 3rd goal, as Arsenal were rendered helpless in just 9.7 seconds. And I updated my Facebook status, "no woman can ever be as beautiful as counter-attacking football."

May 26th, 1999. I was randomly surfing channels on my TV, searching for something interesting to watch, and settled upon a football match going on thousands of miles away in Barcelona. I knew nothing about the teams, but the score card read Bayern Munich 1-0 Man United. And I watched on as the guys in red, Man United tried with all their might to break down a resolute German defense, and somewhat took a liking at their sheer cold-blooded refusal to accept defeat. Last 3 minutes of the match, and even though I knew nothing about them, I was praying to God for a player in a Red shirt to be able to rattle the back of the net.
2 goals in 3 minutes, and they had deceived defeat to join hands with victory. Love at first sight. Its one of those things you just can’t explain. And every time I see a video of that night at the Nou Camp, I fall in love all over again! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kicQkb5kXB0

Over the next few years, I started following United with a keen interest, watching their matches, checking out the interviews of the players and the manager, looking into their history. And with time, my love for United has grown beyond limits. I love Manchester United like a small kid loves his new toy. Pure, unconditional love.

To say that I just love them is an understatement. I won’t be exaggerating if I state that Man United, and in particular the manager Sir Alex Ferguson, as a person, has played a major role in making me the person I am.

In 1958, Manchester United, managed by the late Sir Matt Busby, had assembled a youthful team, but a team of players all masters of their trade. A team built through sheer hard work, endorsing an attractive brand of football never seen before, was widely tipped to win the biggest trophy European football had to offer, the European Cup, or as known now, the UEFA Champions League. And disaster struck. We lost 8 main team players in the air crash in Munich. The manager himself has been hospitalized for days, escaping death. Words couldn’t express the grief in Manchester. It was all doom and gloom.
But Sir Matt Busby, without backing down from the calamity of the mammoth scale, rebuilt the whole team, and after 10 years of sweating blood, Manchester United rose from the ashes like a Red Phoenix, and in 1968, won the prize that the late warriors had so nearly missed out on.
This, and numerous other occasions, even though small ones like just a match, have proved one thing. Mannchester United never accept defeat. There have been thousands of instances, when the opposition, assured of victory, have been stung by vicious late Man United sucker punches. The sheer, cold-blooded refusal to accept defeat is intimately integrated in the DNA of Man United, and with time, into mine too. There may be long barren periods when people think our time is up, but count on us to bounce back, with vengeance. A successful team beats one with heart, and that’s what we’re all about. The club’s mantra is “BELIEVE.” We BELIEVE in ourselves. We believe that we can come out of any situation and emerge victorious. BELIEF drives us on.

When Sir Alex Ferguson took over the club in 1986, he inherited a dejected group of players, addicted to alcohol, and lost in their ways. Sometimes through careful and good-natured explaining, and sometimes using his fiery nature, the Scott drilled in the non-tolerance stance into the players’ minds. When you have to perform, you have to be disciplined, and there is no place for alcohol to influence your mind in the slightest way. Another lesson I’ve learnt from the larger than life club. Even today, 24 years into the Ferguson era, no Man United player is allowed to smoke or booze.

Sir Alex brought along revolutionary changes with him, which would make sure the club stays at its pinnacle for decades to come. Investing in the youth and utilizing the resources of the club was always given preference over spending large sums of cash. Youngsters who understood the value of playing for the club were brought in. Fergie has always chosen a player for the right attitude, and then his ability. A principle still put into use, and priceless in our day to day lives. The trend is followed even today, where there have been many cases when a fantastic player has been let go by the club just because he couldn’t display the characters of a Manchester United player.

Players like Gary Neville, Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes stand witness to the fact that Fergie has always instilled the values of loyalty and commitment. These three stand as the epitome of loyalty, any kid’s idols, having played for around 2 decades for the club, never even thinking about leaving for greener pastures. The recognition and praise heaped upon them from all the corners of the world isn't enough for the trinity.

Fergie has always looked out for strong characters, himself being one. Even at the age of 68, after winning every prize football has on offer, his hunger for success remains the same as when he was a player plying his trade at various clubs. He still celebrates every goal like a litlle child. This rubs off on his players too, and if you're satisfied with winning just once, you don't belong at Manchester United.

Strong characters have always been present in the United dressing room too. The prime example being Eric Cantona, the fiery Frenchman, fondly known by the fans as Le Roi, The King. Eric inspired confidence. When the chips were down, everybody looked up to the King. Best described by Roy Keane, "chest puffed out, collars turned up, he stepped onto the pitch like he owned the fuckin' arena!" Even today, 13 years after his retirement, and even though I've never seen him play live, I always look up to Eric Cantona to inspire confidence.

There have been times when Man United were the most hated team in England. People couldn't stand our success, branded us as arrogant. Our players got a lot of stick. But this just inspired us to do better, shut their mouths and embarrass them. If your love makes us STRONG, your hate makes us UNSTOPPABLE. Another mentality gifted from Sir Alex. Love the guy.

God loves irony. Even though being named by Forbes as the most valuable brand in the sports world, Man United is currently in bottomless debt, rounding up to £700 million, thanks to our owners. But we soldier on. And being the biggest club in the world, we fulfill our responsibilities by carrying out charity work in whatever way possible, all over the globe.

Another thing I’ve learnt from Sir Alex, is to appreciate those who care for you, no matter how irrelevant they are to you. Being the manager of the largest club in the world, Sir Alex still remembered to wish a Man United fan, Florence Evans, who was celebrating her 100th birthday. A handwritten card and a bunch of flowers.

           ''It is with great delight that I am writing to you today on behalf of everyone here at Manchester United football club to wish you a very happy 100th birthday - a grand old age. I am sure that all of your family and friends will be gathering for the celebrations and no doubt there will be many wonderful memories that you will recall for your have certainly lived through some interesting times. And must have many a good tale to tell. Florence I hope you have a wonderful day and trust they will all help you blow out all those candles! Take care and a god bless.''

300 million fans all over the world. It’s just one large family. I believe that God exists on Earth. He’s a grey haired man, with gold-framed specs, a chewing in his mouth, and goes by the name of Fergie!

There have been many a days, when I’ve been feeling down in the dumps, tired and fed up of life. Only for weekend to come and Man United to score a last minute goal to secure a win over their fierce rivals. Gets me up and running again. Gives me a reason to get out of bed next morning. It’s what football does to us. It’s what Man United does to me. Playing with my emotions like nobody else can.

And I imagine every United fan having the same feelings for the team as I do, because even when we lose, the support is always in full volume cheering the team on, sometimes even making fun of the opposition. Compare this to a bunch of other teams, who get booed off the field by their fans when they lose. I am proud to say, the family is really United!

And when I’m lost, do not know what to do, I think to myself, “what would Fergie do?”

I conclude with a quote from King Eric. “Till the very last minute of my life, I’ll have this club in my heart.”

Manchester United isn’t just a football club, it’s a way of life.

3 comments:

  1. I M a big manutd fan too..but i cant write all dis stuff!!! excellent work dude..I am really looking forward for many such blogs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks a lot mate!
    will soon put up a few articles I've already written!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on the blog. Pretty much reflects my feelings towards the heroes in red as well.

    Fellow red from Malta!
    Oliver

    www.utdtillidie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete